BBQ Chicken with Broccoli and Peas
- Small Saucepot
- Large Saute Pan with Lid
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Reduced Sodium Chicken Base
- 1 cup Wild Rice Blend (about 180 grams) Tip: Any rice is fine.
- 1 cup Water
- 1 head Broccoli cut into florettes, (about 350 grams)
- 20 oz Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast chopped
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce sugar-free
- 2 cups Sugar Snap Peas sliced in half, (about 200 grams)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 3 stalks Scallions sliced, (about 15 grams)
- 1 Serrano Pepper sliced, (about 10 grams)
- Start by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepot
- Once boiling, add the chicken base and rice to the water. Stir until the chicken base has separated and created a chicken stock. This will only take about 30 seconds. Then turn the heat down to low and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 45 minutes.
- Now, in a large saute pan with a lid add 1 cup water. Then place the chopped broccoli in the water. The broccoli is not to be submerged in the water, just sitting on top. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cover with a lid. Cook the broccoli, covered for 6 minutes.
- While the broccoli is cooking chop your chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Season your chicken with a little black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Reserving some of these seasonings for the rice.
- Once the broccoli is done, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan you cooked the broccoli in, turn the temperature to medium-low and add the oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot add your chopped chicken. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Once your chicken is just about cooked through add the BBQ sauce to the pan. Toss your chicken in the BBQ sauce, then cover with a lid and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and arrange your chicken into an even layer, then top with your broccoli, and then your snap peas. Place the lid back on and cook for another 3-5 minutes covered. This is just enough to warm the broccoli and snap peas. If your rice is not done you can turn the heat to low and leave this covered until the rice is done.
- Once the rice is done, season your rice with the red pepper flake, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Plate your rice. Give you chicken, broccoli, and peas a toss, then serve on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle your scallions and serrano pepper, serve and enjoy!
This BBQ Chicken with Broccoli and Peas is such a great dinner recipe for the entire family. It tastes amazing and if you have little ones I am sure you will be able to get them to eat their veggies with this dish!
Below outlines the items in each macro group that are easily adjustable to meet your specific macros.
This is a low-fat recipe. However, you could increase the fat by choosing to cook with chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
Rice is the easiest source of carbs in this recipe to adjust. When making adjustments to the amount of rice you will also want to adjust the amount of water you boil it in.
Chicken breast is a great source of lean protein. You can easily increase or reduce the amount of chicken in this recipe to reach your protein macros.
Yes. This is a great dinner or lunch for meal prep and will last In the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes. You can freeze this recipe for up to 6 months in an airtight container. However, I would not freeze the rice, I would cook that fresh instead of freezing. Rice never defrosts that great when not saturated in sauce.