Breakfast…Is It Really the Most Important Meal of the Day?
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I am not sure who “they” are but I couldn’t agree more! Have you ever taken a step back and observed your energy levels, your mood, and your awareness after having a day where you began your day with breakfast and compared it to a day where you skipped breakfast? If you haven’t, I highly recommend it, especially if you have been known to skip breakfast. You will be surprised how much breakfast can impact your day!
Why is Breakfast the Most Important Meal of the Day?
- Breakfast sets the healthy tone for the day
- Breakfast wakes up your metabolism and provides your body and brain with fuel, that’s why many call it Break-Fast
- Starting your day with breakfast replenishes your supply of glucose to boost your energy levels and alertness
- Studies have shown the eating breakfast can improve your memory and concentration levels
- Eating breakfast has long term health benefits, reducing obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes
What is considered Breakfast and what is the objective?
- Breakfast should be eaten within 2 hours of waking up.
- A healthy breakfast should provide you with 20-30% of your daily calorie allowance.
- Breakfast should provide you with some much-needed nutrients. A meal high in calcium, iron, B vitamins, fiber, and protein is a great way to start your day!
Examples of a Nutrient Rich Breakfast:
- Bowl of Oatmeal, topped with your favorite fruit
- Smoothie loaded with fruits and veggies
- Omelette loaded with veggies and your favorite whole grain bread
- A breakfast salad including hard-boiled egg, fruits and veggies
Here are a Few of my favorites found in the Members Area of A Dash of Macros:
Why are you skipping breakfast?
The number one reason people skip breakfast because they are rushing out the door. I know we all have very busy lives and that is exactly why I love to create easy grab and go breakfast. Most of my breakfast recipes can be meal prepped giving you no excuse to skip breakfast!
My advice…STOP skipping breakfast!
- Make time to meal prep your breakfast ahead of time if you have hectic mornings
- Wake up earlier to make sure you have time to make breakfast if you don’t have it prepped
- Make it a family affair, it’s a great time to eat together and set daily goals for the entire family! Provide your kids with motivation before heading out the door!
- Make it a priority and it will become a habit