Ham & Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- ½ cup Ham, steak diced, (about 4 oz)
- ¼ Yellow Onion diced, (about 35 grams)
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cup Baby Spinach & Arugula Mix (about 100 grams)
- ¼ cup Cheddar Cheese freshly shredded (about 28 grams)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives fresh, diced
- 1¾ cup Liquid Egg Whites (about 14 oz)
- 5 Large Whole Eggs
- 1 Avocado smashed (about 200 grams)
- 6 Light Multi-Grain English Muffins
- 1 Lime juiced
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Pre-Heat oven to 375° and spray a 8×10" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a medium saute pan to medium heat.
- While the pan is heating dice your onions and ham. Once the pan is hot add the oil to the pan, then add the dice ham and onions. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so. This cook time is just to soften up the onions and allow their flavors to open up.
- While the ham and onions are cooking, add the egg white liquid and 5 whole eggs to a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and egg whites together for 1 full minute. This adds a little air into your eggs making them fluffy.
- By now your ham and onions are done. But before removing from the heat, add your spinach and arugula to the pan, cook with the ham and onions for another 1 minutes, just enough for the greens to soften and wilt.
- Once the greens have wilted add the ham, onion and green mixture to your prepped baking dish, spreading the mixture evenly on the bottom of the baking dish. Then top the ham and onions with your whisked eggs. Pour the eggs over top of everything.
- Then sprinkle with your freshly shredded cheese, chives and some black pepper and garlic powder.
- Place your baking dish in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs have puffed up, and the top is a light golden brown color.
- While the eggs are baking slice your english muffins in half to build your sandwiches.
- In a small bowl scoop out your avocado and smash with a fork. Season with a little black pepper and garlic powder and the juice from one lime. The lime juice will help prevent the avocado from going brown for 2-3 days.
- If you plan to eat these sandwiches right away, toast your english muffins. If you plan to eat them later skip toasting the muffins now and go right to assembling them.
- Once the eggs are done allow to cool for a few minutes, then cut your casserole into 6 servings.I used a biscuit cutter to cut them into circles, however you can simply cut them into squares. Using the biscuit cutter you will have a few leftover random pieces of egg….but I just eat those on their own while I put together the sandwiches.
- Now assemble your sandwiches: First by spreading a little smashed avocado onto the bottom half of the english muffin, then top with a portion of your egg casserole and finish with your other half of english muffin.
Because breakfast should never be skipped! I have fallen in love with homemade breakfast sandwiches, they are my new favorite thing to make. This ham and cheese casserole sandwich is FANTASTIC! If you are working on your meal plan and want a delicious breakfast that is easy to take on the go add this breakfast sandwich to your plan. It is a fantastic recipe that allows you to meal prep the sandwiches ahead of time, allowing you to have a quick breakfast throughout the week. It is also a great sandwich for anyone counting macros. Check out my notes below on how you can adjust the macros in this sandwich.
Below outlines the Items In each macro group that are easily adjustable to meet your specific macros.
Egg Yolk & Avocado: Using more or less egg yolk or avocado will increase or decrease the fat.
Muffin: You could swap out the english muffin for something else with more or less carbs, or remove the muffin all together.
Egg Whites: Using more or less egg whites will Increase or decrease the amount of protein.
Yes. This is a great breakfast for meal prepping, and will last In the fridge for up to 6 days.
Yes. You can freeze this recipe for up to 6 months In an air tight container.