Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- 1½ cups Water
- ¾ cups Jasmine Rice (about 135 grams)
- 1½ tbsp Honey (about 30 grams)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, Lite (about 15 grams)
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (about 15 grams)
- 1 tbsp Light Brown Sugar (about 15 grams)
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic diced, (about 15 grams)
- 16 oz Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Water
- 1 head Broccoli cut into bite-size pieces, (about 235 grams)
- 6 Cherry Hot Peppers sliced, (about 110 grams)
- 2 cups Frozen Pineapple (about 290 grams)
- 1 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flake
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt
- Start by cooking your rice. Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil in a small pot with a lid. Then add the rice to the pot, turn the heat to low and cover with a lid and cook low for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from the heat, but leave covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking make your sauce. In a small bowl combine: Honey, Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Water, and Fresh Garlic. Set the sauce aside for later.
- Now it's time to start working on your chicken. Heat a large deep stovetop pan to medium heat. While the pan is heating, season your chicken breast on both sides with garlic powder and black pepper.
- Once the pan is hot add the extra virgin oil to the pan, then immediately add the chicken to the pan. Cook the chicken for 2 minutes on both sides. Then remove from the pan and place on a cutting board. Leave the juices from the chicken in the pan.
- Now add ½ cup water to the pan you just cooked the chicken in. With the heat set to medium-low and the water simmering, add your broccoli to the pan. Cook the broccoli in the water for about 5 minutes. This will lightly steam the broccoli, the broccoli will not be submerged in the water. Stir every few minutes.
- After 5 minutes add your cherry hot peppers and frozen pineapple. Cook tossing with the broccoli for another 2-3 minutes.
- While the broccoli, peppers, and pineapple are cooking chop your chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Then add the chicken and your sauce to the pan with your broccoli. Stir everything together.
- At this point, your sauce might be a little loose. To thicken it up, push the ingredients to the sides of the pan, creating a well of sauce in the middle. Add your tbsp flour to the sauce. Using a fork gently whisk the flour into the sauce until most of the flour clumps are gone. Then stir everything together and bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with red pepper, salt, and black pepper
- Serve by plating your rice and topping with your sweet and spicy chicken.
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir Fry, an easy recipe to toss together just about any day of the week. And if you don’t have the proper veggies or pineapple that’s totally fine, I consider stir fry’s a catch-all dish. Use whatever veggies you have!
Below outlines the items in each macro group that are easily adjustable to meet your specific macros.
Fat in this recipe comes from the oil the chicken is cooked in. This is a relatively low-fat recipe. I did this because the recipe is relatively high in carbs. However, if you wanted to increase the fat, you could use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. This is always a great alternative to increase a low-fat recipe.
The rice in this recipe is the source of carbs. Adjusting the rice is an easy way to increase or decrease the carbs. However, it is important to keep in mind when making adjustments to the rice you will also adjust the amount of water it is cooked in. 2 times water to rice!
Chicken is a great lean cut of meat, providing most of the protein in this recipe. You can easily adjust the amount of chicken used.
Yes. This recipe can be meal prepped. This recipe will last up to 6 days in the fridge.
I don’t like to freeze cooked rice. However, the rest of this recipe is freezer friendly. So, go ahead and freeze the sweet and spicy chicken ingredients. And make the rice fresh when you plan to serve this recipe!