Monthly Member Challenge!
Stretch for a minimum of 10 minutes a day!
I know you might think this sounds simple, but with our busy lives, it can be hard to stop what we are doing and take the time to focus on ourselves. So put the phone down, stop working, and stretch! The new year is just around the corner and with new years always comes new health goals, so let's use this month to prepare our bodies for what's around the corner!
I recommend stretching a few minutes every morning right when you wake up. But go slowly in the morning as your muscles will be cold. Then stretch again later in the afternoon, after your workout, or after a long day of sitting in front of a computer. No matter what your day looks like, stop and take some time to stretch!
Below are my top 5 favorite stretches. These stretches stretch your entire body. I have found that they have helped elevate back pain, shoulder soreness, and even reduce headaches.
1. Lunge Stretch
- Stand in a split stance with your left foot forward, bend at the knees until your left thigh is parallel to the ground and your right knee is on the ground.
- Stretch your right foot back so the top of your foot is on the floor.
- Push forward through your hips, chest up, hands on your forward knee.
Hold for 10-30 seconds, relax, switch forward legs, and complete stretch on the other side. Repeat for a total of 3 sets.
2. Chest Stretch
- Stand near the opening of a doorway. With your left side close to the door jam.
- Bend your left arm to a 90-degree angle and raise your arm to shoulder height, then rest on the door jam.
- Step forward with your left foot, and place your right hand on your hips.
- Lean into your shoulder and twist at the hips slightly to the right.
Hold for 10-30 seconds, switch sides, and repeat for 3 sets.
3. Childs Pose
- Kneel on the floor with your toes together and your knees hip-width apart.
- Exhale and lower your torso between your knees. Extend your arms in front of you stretching as far as you can.
Hold for 10-30 seconds, then relax, rest for 5 seconds, then repeat 3 times.
4. Upward Facing Dog:
- Lie on the floor, stretch your legs back, with the tops of your feet on the floor.
- Bend your elbows and spread your palms on the floor beside your waist so that your forearms are relatively perpendicular to the floor.
- Inhale and press your hands into the floor, then straighten your arms and lift your torso up and your hips a few inches off the floor.
Hold for 10-30 seconds, relax down, rest for 5 seconds then repeat 3 times.
5. Side Stretch:
- Stand with your legs wider than hip-width apart
- Place your left hand on your hip, right arm straight up alongside of your ear.
- Then bend over to your left side.
Hold for 10-30 seconds, then repeat on the other side for 3 sets.
Join me in this month's challenge, stretch each and every day. Take a picture, track your time, and keep an eye on your heart rate! Tag me on social media using @adashofmacros and #stretchchallenge!
Learning to live a longer, stronger, healthier life together, never getting bored with our food, while reaching our goals!